The Church, too, must be a family, bishops, priests, deacons, religious and laity, supporting each other and sharing with each other the individual gifts given by God.
Pope John Paul II,
Heaton Park, Manchester, 31st May 1982

The Diocese

Closed churches & chapels

Manchester Metropolitan District

Alexandra Park, St Bede
The mission was founded in 1876 in the former Manchester Aquarium; it was originally attached to St Bede’s College. The new church was opened on Alexandra Road South in 1896 and the mission was rededicated to The English Martyrs.
Registers are at The English Martyrs, Whalley Range.

 All Saints, The Holy Family
The mission was founded in 1876 in a former Welsh Calvanist Chapel in Grosvenor Square and was initially served by the clergy of St Bede’s College. It was independent 1878-1908, after which it became chapel-of-ease to the new Church of St Augustine on York Street. Following the destruction of the York Street church in 1940, the chapel was adopted as the base for St Augustine’s Parish and renamed St Augustine’s at The Holy Family. The building was demolished in 1964 and the current church of St Augustine now stands on the site.
Registers are at LCRO.

Ancoats, St Alban
The mission was founded in 1863. The Church in Fawcett Street was opened in 1878. The parish was decimated by post-war slum clearance and the church was subsequently served from St Michael’s Ancoats from 1960 and was closed in 1968. The buildings were initially used for industrial purposes but have since been demolished.
Early registers are at LCRO, later registers are at St Anne’s, Ancoats.

Ancoats, St Michael
The mission was founded in 1859 as a chapel-of-ease to Livesey Street. The church was opened on George Leigh Street in 1869. It became independent in 1875. The church was rebuilt in 1956. It was served from St Patricks from 1993 as part of the Team-Ministry and was used as a base by the Mill Hill Missionaries until 2003, when the church was closed following a compulsory purchase order.
Early registers are at LCRO, later registers are at St Anne’s, Ancoats.

Angel Meadow, St William
The mission was founded on Simpson Street in 1864 as a chapel-of-ease to St Chads. St Williams was an independent mission 1894-1903. It was then served from St Chad’s again. The school-chapel was destroyed by enemy action in 1941 and the parish was subsequently dissolved in 1946.
Registers are at LCRO.

Ardwick, St Aloysius
The Mission was founded in 1852 in a disused factory.  A school-chapel was then opened on Ogden Street in 1863. The floor of this chapel collapsed in 1880 killing two parishioners and the church in Palfrey Place was subsequently opened in 1885. This church was closed and demolished in 1988. Registers are at LCRO.

Chorlton-cum-Hardy, St Peter / St Augustine
Now known as Our Lady and St John, Chorlton.

Chorlton-on-Medlock, St Augustine
The Mission was founded in 1820 on Granby Row, this site was sold to UMIST in 1907 and a new basilica was opened on York Street in 1908. This church was destroyed by enemy action in 1940. The Parish then moved to its current location in Grosvenor Square, All Saints. In 1966 the York Street site was subject to a compulsory purchase order to enable the construction of the Mancunian Way.
Early registers are at LCRO, later registers are at St Augustine’s, All Saints.

Collyhurst, St Casmir
The mission founded in 1904 for Polish and Ukrainian Immigrants. The church on Oldham Road was opened in 1921 and closed in 1931.
Registers are at LCRO.

Cornbrook / Old Trafford, St Lawrence
The mission was founded in 1875 on Westminster Street as a chapel-of-ease to St Wilfrid’s Hulme. St Lawrence’s became an independent parish in 1926. The school-chapel was badly damaged by enemy action in 1940 and in 1960; the former City Road Wesleyan Chapel was purchased and converted for use as a new church. The parish was merged into the Inner City mission in 1986 and again served from St Wilfrid’s, Hulme until 1994 when the church was closed and demolished.
Early registers are at LCRO, later registers are at St Augustine’s, All Saints.

Fairfield, St Anne
Now known as St Anne, Higher Openshaw.  

Goulden Street, St Joseph
The mission was founded in 1852; it was served from St Michael’s, Ancoats from 1887 and was closed in 1904 due to lapse-of-lease on the site.
Registers are at LCRO.

Hulme, St Wilfrid
The Church which was designed by AWN Pugin was opened in 1842, the Mission was originally known as St Wilfrid’s in the Fields. It became the base of the inner city team mission in 1986 and in 1990 the Pugin church was closed and deconsecrated but services continued in the church hall. The original church was then converted into a commercial enterprise centre. In 2002 St Wilfrid’s became chapel-of-ease to Our Lady’s, Moss Side and was closed in 2004. The buildings are now being used by the Sisters of Charity.
Early registers are at LCRO, later registers are at St Augustine’s, All Saints.

Longsight, St Robert
The mission was founded in 1915. Initially Mass was celebrated in the Co-Op Hall and then in a temporary building off Stockport Road. The first church was opened in Hamilton Road in 1929; this was replaced in 1964 by a new church on the same site. This Church was closed in 2004 and later demolished.
Registers are at St Joseph, Longsight.

Manchester, St Chad
This mission was founded in the mid eighteenth century in a former industrial building off The Parsonage. It was relocated to a property at Roman Entry in 1773 and then to a purpose built chapel on Rook Street in 1776. It was finally moved to its current location on Cheetham Hill in 1847.
Early registers are at LCRO, later registers are at St Anne’s, Crumpsall.

Miles Platting, Corpus Christi
The mission was founded in 1889 by the Nobertine Canons. The basilica on Varley Street opened in 1907. The mission became the base for the Premonstratensian Order in England. The church was closed in 2007.
Registers are at St Patrick’s, Livesey Street.

Miles Platting, St Edmund
The mission was founded in 1871 as a chapel-of-ease to Livesey Street. It became independent in 1877. The church, which was designed by PP Pugin was opened on Monsall Street in 1896. This church was closed and demolished in 1994. Services continued in the School-Hall until 2007, served again from Livesey Street.
Early registers are at LCRO, later registers are at St Patrick’s, Livesey Street.
 

Moston, St Anthony of Padua
Opened in 1901 and closed the following year. 

Openshaw, St Vincent
The mission was founded in 1896 in a new School-chapel. The church was built on Craydon Street in 1955; it was served from St Ann’s Ancoats from 2003 and closed in 2006.
Registers are at St Anne’s, Ancoats.