New Canons Installed into Cathedral ChapterWednesday 4th July 2018
Today’s lunchtime Mass at the Cathedral involved an extra celebration as we saw three new Canons installed as members of the Cathedral Chapter of St John the Evangelist.
The ceremony was celebrated by Bishop John alongside the members of the Cathedral Chapter.
Canon Steven Parkinson, Canon John Dale and Canon Michael Cleary join the Chapter, which was established at the foundation of the Diocese on 24th June 1852.
Originally when Cathedral Chapters, were re-established in the 19th century they were mandated to ensure the worthy celebration of liturgy in the Cathedral Church, celebrate the Divine office and assist the bishop of the governance of the Diocese. In his Homily Bishop John reminded those present of the continuing need for the Chapter to provide guidance and oversight to the changes in the diocese.
Many congratulations to all of our new Canon’s!