How Do I……..

Below you can find answers to a list of your frequently asked questions. Simply extend the drop down menu to find out more.

Get married in a church?

If you are looking to get married in one of our churches your first port of call should be to contact your Parish Priest. That is the Parish Priest of the parish in which you or your fiancé/fiancée lives. He will explain to you the conditions and requirements to be married in the Catholic Church.

Please be aware that it is a requirement that six months’ notice be given before a wedding can take place. This is to enable appropriate preparation for the wedding and also some process of preparation for marriage.

If you wish your marriage to take place in a Catholic Church which is not your parish church, please contact the priest at that church. Please note that there needs to be a good reason if you wish to be married outside your own church.

If you are getting married in a Catholic ceremony in another diocese or another country, please contact your own parish priest.

For more information please visit the marriage pages here

Get my child baptised?

If you are looking to baptise your child in one of our churches your first port of call would be to arrange to meet the Parish Priest.

  • Anyone can be baptised in the Catholic Church, as long as they (or their parents if they are aged under 7) can make the solemn profession of faith, and will promise to be part of the Catholic Church in the future.
  • In the case of a child. at least one parent must , ordinarily, be a baptised Roman Catholic – proof of this may be required.
  • A person should be baptised in the Parish where they live, and permission from your parish priest will be required for the Baptism to take place elsewhere.
  • A person being baptised must have at least one practising Roman Catholic godparent.

For more information please visit the sacramental programme pages here

Get my child Confirmed?

Your child will receive the Sacrament of Confirmation when they are in Year 8. All the information will be sent in an email to you. All Confirmations will take place within your local deanery and the children will be confirmed by Bishop John Arnold.

There are 3 optional Retreat Days that are hosted in locations across the Diocese. More information on Confirmation can be found here.

For more information, you can email the team on

Organise a Catholic funeral?

The priest or other members of the parish community can help you arrange a funeral. You should contact your Parish Priest as soon as possible. The funeral director may do this on your behalf. If so, please make sure that you have informed the funeral director about the format of service you require.

You can search for contact details here

When choosing any hymns, readings and other elements of the service, care should be taken that the words of any material are in keeping with our Catholic faith.

The Catholic Bishops Conference of England and Wales information leaflet on arranging a funeral can be downloaded here.

Contact a priest?

You can find your local priest or search our directory pages here

Find a church?

You can find your local church or search our directory pages here

Join the priesthood?

If you feel that God may be calling you to be a priest there are people and groups in the Diocese that are here to support you to make the right decision.

You can find out more about joining the priesthood on our vocations pages here

Find my local Catholic school?

You can find your local school by Local Authority or search our directory pages here

Take part in a pilgrimage?

To find out more about our annual pilgrimage to Lourdes visit their website here

There are also diocesan pilgrimages within the UK. Keep up to date in the what’s on section.

Help a local Catholic charity?

There are lots of ways of getting involved with or donating to a number of Caritas projects across the Diocese. Visit the Caritas website for more information.

Seek an annulment?

Please contact our Tribunal Department to discuss this matter on 0161 817 2202 or

Get in touch with the Professional Support Services?

You can find a full departmental list of contact details for those in the Professional Support Services by clicking the link here.